Fixing a broken compact-flash socket (sort of)


A few days ago an incorrect manipulation of the compact flash memory broke my Canon reflex camera memory socket. It was a very bad moment as I was not able to use it in my recent trip to China.

Though I was able to get some thin tweezers I was only capable of breaking the bent pin. So my camera was useless now.

Once back home, I've tried a simple solution that worked nicely, so nicely I want to share it with you: I just took a strand of copper from an electric wire and I stuffed it in to the hole of the compact flash memory that corresponded to the broken pin. It created kind of a small copper wire brush that makes contact with the broken pin once the memory is inserted. It is a cheap solution to the problem that I've found surprisingly good.

If you have several broken pins you may try this, but I am not so confident you'll get a decent contact for all of them at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation