It is the Android year!


Well, I might be wrong but apparently Android shipments just overtook Symbian platform during the year 2010. I have been using for quite a while a Nokia E71, which I can wholehearted recommend, but I was told by my carrier that it was time for a change.

Of course the question to iphone or not to iphone was raised. Owning five different Apple computers over the years plus an iPad seemed to make me the obvious iPhone customer. Did I tell you we have our own share of ipods, including a couple of iPod touch? However, after buying our iPad it became clear that the way Apple wants customers to behave and use their expensive devices was not very customer friendly. I really hate to have to use iTunes to just add a file to my iPad (thanks Dropbox to make my life a bit easier here). And I find despicable that once I have sync my iPad to a music library I have to lose everything if I ever dare to try to sync with another of my computers at home. I am sure that Apple can make a long case about how they worry on enforcing the copyright owners rights, but as the owner of my own iPad I strongly object against that. So much that I bought an Android phone instead.

Unfortunately, Google Nexus S is not yet available in Spain. I was having a googler from the UK office coming to my city for a talk and I was tempted to ask him to bring one Nexus S from London, but finally I settled with a Samsung Galaxy S from which I have heard several praises from some of my colleagues. In the last minute I double checked with another colleague who owned a Nokia N8 but he was not happy so I made my move.

After a few days of use I'm quite happy with the Galaxy. It is lighter than the E71 and quite slim too. The screen is large and I like it very much: colorful and bright. And, as most of the smartphones cannot stay away from a charger for more than a couple of days (though daily charge is the way to make sure you won't run out of juice unexpectedly). The use of microUSB charger is nice and I can keep the power mains charger at home and the USB charging cable at the office.

Both Google goggles and Google Translate apps are interesting enough to have at least some fun. But Skype app proved to be a disappointment as it refuses to work. The technology that I think it is missing in the Galaxy but present on the Nexus S and it is presumed to be on iPhone 5 too is the NFC (RFID) interface.

Update: One successful upgrade later, I'm running Android 2.2 on my Galaxy and it feels more responsive, battery lasts longer and Skype works. In the mean time I can see there is a new Galaxy S II from Samsung that looks cooler than Galaxy S and Nexus S (and it includes NFC interface too).

And regarding my Android experience, so far so good. I have found lots of interesting applications for my phone, including the Wifi-Analyzer. And the phone keeps on working no matter the way I hold it in my hand. But, as expected, you need to recharge every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation