SuSE 9.2, not this time

This distribution is available on ftp.suse.com for a month or so. You can dowload the installation DVD or you can do an FTP-based install by booting your computer with a small (60MB) ISO image.

I've been using SuSE for three years now and I am, most of the time, quite pleased with it. It is my main distro and I like to have DVD full of software I can install without having an Internet connection. I do like the online update feature too.

I have been upgrading my systems every now and then, mostly because newer KDE versions use to inlcude lots of fixes and new cool features. But when I tried 9.2 to install in my trusty but old Toshiba Satellite (128MB RAM only) it took around 6 hours. Afterwards the system took, everytime, a lot of time to boot because it froze for a long while on udev. And when it booted KDE was almost useless as it was slow to a crawl.

The system was still acceptable, but slow, on SuSE 9.1. Because I had an Ubuntu install CD around I used this instead and now my old laptop is usable again. Ubuntu is a GNOME-based distro, easy to install and it detected properly my old DWL-650 D-link wireless card. It also includes Firefox, Evolution, GIMP and OpenOffice, among other useful software though it does not support MP3 files out of the box.

I am not planning to use this computer for more than a quick browsing, what I get with Ubuntu is just good enough and the install time was also below the one hour mark.

Installing SuSE 9.2 Professional on a fast computer (AMD XP2800+ with 512MB RAM) took only twenty minutes and everything was smooth and clean. I recommended the software to several companies and untrained personnel were able to do a clean install without a problem, so all in all, it is still a very good choice if your machine has at least 256MB and your processor is less than two years old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation